CONTEXTIECD in Vietnam
The European Institute of Cooperation and Development (IECD, www.iecd.org/en) is a non-for-profit organization established in 1988 that is mainly acting in the field of international solidarity. The organization is focusing on socio-economic development programs in partnership with local institutions around the world. IECD is active in the fields of vocational training and social integration, support to small entrepreneurs and the promotion of education and health for vulnerable people.
IECD has been operating in Vietnam since 2010 through an IT training program for underprivileged youth living in the center of Vietnam (Danang) and in partnership with the NGO Passerelles Numériques.
In 2013, IECD launched the Small Entrepreneurs Support program in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) based on the same model as the one displayed in Africa and in the Middle East, in partnership with the Social Development Training Center (SDTC) – a department of the Ton Duc Thang University (TDT). To date, more than 1 000 small entrepreneurs (active or future ones) have been trained in different districts of Ho Chi Minh City.
Since 2014, IECD has been registered at PACCOM (organization that manages the international NGOs in Vietnam); the permit was renewed in April 2017 for 3 years.
To develop the Support to Small Entrepreneurs program, IECD has done over the years an important institutional work in Vietnam to create new partnerships with other agents in the development sector (ESF, PE&D, Bright Solutions, LIN, etc.), with local authorities or public structures (CEP, Women Union, Youth Union, etc.) and with private companies.
Thanks to its solid local anchorage, IECD decided at the end of 2015 to implement new programs in Vietnam. IECD currently runs 4 projects in the country, 2 of them being backed by AFD (the French Development Agency):
- The Support to Small Entrepreneurs program in Ho Chi Minh City
- A bread and pastry making school located in Hué, created in 1998 and supported by IECD since 2015. Thanks to its social business economic model, the school self-finances more than 90% of its operating expenses.
- A bread and pastry making school located in HCMC. Inspired by the one in Hué, the school was launched in December 2017 and it is also run as a social business
- The Seeds of Hope program that trains young Vietnamese for careers in electricity and automotive maintenance in HCMC
Links to videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiYKXwdMwznLLTdhHEbPD3w
Besides, the project manager of the Association of South East Asian Social Enterprises for Training in Hospitality & Catering (ASSET H&C) is based in HCMC. The ASSET H&C structure includes 14 hospitality & catering schools in South East Asia where vulnerable people are trained for careers in the tourism industry.
The main goals of the ASSET platform are to strengthen the capacities and the visibility of the 14 schools and to develop exchanges between them.The Support to Small Entrepreneurs program
The Support to Small Entrepreneurs program aims to train and support micro and small urban entrepreneurs, of every sector, in order to help them to strengthen their business management skills and expand their professional activity.
Thanks to the basic business management training sessions of the program and the support of local teams, owners of these small informal entrepreneurs succeed in rising their turnovers and their savings and in making their activity more sustainable. That benefits their families and their employees.
Launched in Cameroon at the beginning of the 2000s and mainly backed by the AFD (the French Agency of Development), the Support to Small Entrepreneurs program has been expanded in the Republic of Ivory Coast, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in the Republic of Congo, in Madagascar and in the Middle East.
Launched in Vietnam in 2013, the program is directed at both sedentary entrepreneurs and street vendors.MISSION
This position includes two different missions: the first one as the IECD Country Representative in Vietnam and the second one as the Support to Small Entrepreneurs project manager.1. As the IECD Country Representative in Vietnam
2. As the Support to Small Entrepreneurs project
- Ensure IECD representation to local authorities, financial partners and to every structure that wants to work with IECD or that is interested in IECD
- Keep working on structuring the local IECD anchorage in Vietnam through a solid network of local partners
- Ensure that IECD and its staff (locals and expatriates) based in Vietnam abide by Vietnamese laws (reporting to local authorities, permit of operations, working permit, etc.)
- Work with the South East Asia operations Director on coordinating the activities and on the IECD development strategy in Vietnam
- Seek funding to ensure the good functioning and development of the different IECD projects in the country
- Identify local talents who will be able to ensure the success of the IECD projects in Vietnam
- In the mid-term, the IECD Country Representative in Vietnam could become responsible for managing the other activities and IECD project managers in the country (duty currently handled by the South East operations Director based in HCMC).
- Ensure the piloting and implementation of the project:
- Developing and piloting the activities plan,
- Organizing the implementation of the project,
- Supervising and controlling progress and achievements of the project
- Lead and manage the local team that includes 4 field trainers and a finance officer
- Ensure the financial follow-up:
- Developing and managing the annual budget
- Piloting and supervising financial reports and audit processes
- Ensure reporting:
- internal and external reporting
- Preparation of evaluations
local contractUnder the supervision of:
the South-East Asia operations DirectorIn close collaboration with:
Starting date and duration:
- The Support of Small entrepreneurs program coordinator
- The teams of both the Action for Entrepreneurship departments and the Education, Vocational training and Youth Employability
- Administrative teams, based in Paris
summer of 2018 for 2 years, with possible extensionLocalization:
Binh Thanh, Ho Chi Minh City, VietnamCompensation package:
- Compensation, commensurate with experience
- 1 annual seminar in France (1 week)